Today I’m sharing a helpful guest blog post from Dana with Dana Laymon Photography on how to find the right boudoir photographer for you and the questions you should ask when conducting your search!
“When starting the process of looking for a photographer for your boudoir session, it’s important to know the right questions to ask, just like when looking for a wedding photographer. And it’s difficult when you’ve never done this before and don’t know what those questions should be! Here is a list of what I think are important things to ask (and for you to decide on!) so you can find the right boudoir photographer for you.
- What style do you want to project?Every photographer has a style and a style that they like to shoot, therefore that style tends to be what they shoot the best and most often. You should be able to see this on their website or in the gallery they send you. This is a big thing to consider because this will end up being the look and feel of your images. Do you want soft and romantic and subtle? Or bold and super sexy?
- Do you want a male or female photographer?This is also a huge thing to consider! Do you care if it’s an all female team or not? This will help narrow down your search right from the beginning if you feel strongly one way or the other. It’s important to ask who all will be in attendance during your session like hair and makeup artists, assistants, etc. Most male photographers have a female present during the session but it’s an important thing to know!
- What kind of product do you want at the end of it all?Do you have any idea of what product you’d like to give your hubby? If you want a high end album or a beautiful box of prints or just the digital images to have and be able to use, be sure your photographer offers the items you want. That way you don’t get to the ordering process and not see what it is you really want.
- What is your budget?This important factor will also help narrow down your choice of photographers. Be sure to ask photographers you reach out to “What is the average amount clients spend with you?” Some photographers have all inclusive packages and others offer an a la carte price list so make sure you understand the pricing that’s being sent to you. And just remember, the old adage is usually true: “You get what you pay for”.
- Where do the sessions take place?A photographer will usually send you a gallery of images when you inquiry with them. Do the pictures look like they’re taken in a studio or do they all look like different locations? It’s good to ask photographers if they have a studio, if they’ll be shooting in your home or if you’re expected to rent a hotel room. And only do what you’re comfortable with! Sometime the expense of a hotel is an additional cost that you’re expected to pay for but it also may be included in the price of your session. The location of the session will also play into the look and feel of your images.
- Do they have weekends and weekdays available?If your schedule is limited, then it’s important to ask what your photographer’s availability is. Especially if you need your gift by a certain date. How long will it take to get your images back? How long will it take to get an album or prints? Most photographers need your session held 5-6 weeks before you need your gift so you’re sure to get it in time.
- Is hair and makeup included?To me, hair and makeup is such an important part of the experience and important factor in how your final images turn out, so I include hair and makeup in all my sessions. I take care of scheduling the hair and makeup artist and your hair and makeup is done at my studio as a part of your session. Is hair and makeup included in the photographer’s session fee? Are you expected to pay for it separately? Are you responsible for scheduling your own hair and makeup? These are all important things to find out!
This is one of the most vulnerable and brave things you will do so it’s important to find someone who’s going to take care of you and give you the experience of a lifetime. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about booking your boudoir session.”
There you have it friends! If you are interested in Boudoir Photography please reach out to Dana! She is such a sweetheart and has an amazing eye for Boudoir photography!